Record Of Robert McQuarrie

“I, Robert McQuarrie, commence keeping a record, of my clays,” seems to me to be the expression of a great, a noble, and a simple man.

He says: I was born August 17, 1832 in the parish of Knapdal, Argyleshire, Scotland. I have learned but little about my forefathers. (It was later that he went back to Scotland and made his research.)

My grandfather, Hictor McQuarrie, was born 1759 in Islay, Argyleshire, Scotland. His wife, Anges McQuaig, was born in 1768 in Islay, They had eight of a family, their names being as follows: Betsey, Mary, John, Allan, Janet, Catherine, Anne, and Marion. . Allan McQuarrie, my father, was born (Bap.7) 22 October 1800, in Islay. His wife, my mother, Agnes Mathieson, was born January 1st, 1807, at Knapdal Parish Argylshire. My mother’s father was Neil Mathieson. His wife was Agnes Graham, born in 1778. They had three children: Margaret, Mary and Agnes. My grandfather and grandmother spent their days in the Highlands of Scotland in the midst of poverty, My grandfather, Hector McQuarrie, died November 27, 1847, aged 88 years. Buried in Islay. His wife, wife, Agnes McQuig, died March 4, 1856, aged 88 years.

My mother’s father, Niel Mathieson, died at the age of 70 years. He was buried at North Knapdal, Argyleshire. His wife, Agnes Graham, died in Kilmichael, Invernessa, 1310, aged 32. The following are the names of my father’s family, according to their births: Robert, born August 17, 1832, Knapdal parish, Argylshire, Scotland “Hector, corn October 2, 1834, Kilmalcolm Parish, Renfrewshire, Scotland Mary Graham, born January 20, 1837, Kilmalclom Parish, Renfrewshire, Scotland Neil, born May 12, 1839, ” “ “ Agnes, born Dec. 8, 1840 John born march 9, 1844, ” Mary Mthiseson, born August 23, 1846

When my father was married he was hired as a farm servant to Robert Homm, farmer, Catle Hill, Kilmalcolm Parish. He continued with him for the space of 16 years, during which time he got lane in his right knee, which caused his leg to be taken off after three years suffering. (According to J. G. McQuarrie, son of Hictor who was the brother next younger to the narrator and son of the afflicted ann, the leg was amputated with a knife and a meat saw, without benefit of anaesthetic.} He being no. longer able to support his family by labor, Mother had to work and wash to support the family. I hired with Robert Holm when my father was no longer able to work,

In the year 1853 I heard the gospel from my brother Hictor, and others. I became so thoroughly convinced of the truth that I could have no peace until I embraced the same I was baptized Sunday, October 9, 1853 in the river Clyde, Kilmalcolm Parish, by Elder Robert Baxter, confirmed by the same elder the on same day in the Greenock Branch of the Glasgow Conference. Alexander McDonald my brother Neil, Margaret Graham, Mary McKellar, my cousin, and myself were all hired with Robert Holm as farm servants, and all pbeyed the gospel at the same time. Alexander McDonald and Mary McKellar apostatised a short time afterward,

May 29, 1854, my master, Robert Holm died and left to me 100 pounds, and the same to my mother. 25 pounds to my father, 25 pounds for neil, 600 pounds to his widow, and the farm stock which was valued at 350 pounds. I got the management of the farm, and the Lord blessed my labors.

February, 1855. My brother Hector emigrated from Scotland to Salt Lake Valley inaxion with Brother Robert 3axter and family.

March 19, Sunday, I was ordained A Teacher under the havds of Elder Archibald McPharl, President of the Greenock Branch.

March 19, 1856. Mary Holm, widow of the late Robert Holm died and left Mother and myself about 1,000 pounds, including the farm stock, she being my mother’s aunt. June 5. Ordained priest.

August 24. I was released from acting as a teacher in the Greenock Branch. After death of Mrs. Holm I was warned by the landlord to leave the farm of Castle Hill in may, next, which was good news to me for I felt the time had come to prepare to gather with the saints in Zion.

1857. Thursday, March 19th. We left our homes and sailed from Greenock to Loverpool per 3. S. Vanguard. Besides my father’s family we took with us Hamilton Carrick and Agnes Gray.

NOTE: Robert thought of his brother Hector’s problem of needing a wife, sooner or lator, and decided to bring Agnes Gray to Utah with his party, since Hector had worded for up uears wotj Agnes’ Eather as an apprentice in the Gray Blacksmith shop, where Hector and Agnes had become acqauainted.

Hector has related to his son, J. G. McQuarrie, that he had not thought of Agnes Gray as a possible wife, but that the problem of a mate occured to him rather forclue after he reached Ogden, Utah, and he had built a cabin in reakiness to receive his mother and brothers and sisters. Hecator’s faith prompted him to seek a solution in prayer. He opened his eyes, after earnest prayer, and saw the form of Agnes Gray crossin the room, and going out by way of the door, A very short tine later she appeared, in reality, and his prayer was answered.

We stayed in Liverpool eight days and took passage on board the George Washington for Boston with 816 souls on board. Before we set sail we were favored with the presence of Elders Orson Pratt, Ezra T. Benson and Ray, the presidency of the European Mission. They promised good passage and safe arrival in Boston. We arrived in Boston after 23 days sailing. The first mate said he had sailed the seas for 32 years but never had better winds to take him into Boston.

May 1, 1857. Left for West in wagon companies with “cattle”. NOTE: On the trek wast, these pioneers from Scotland traveled at the rate of 7, 11, 12, 12 1/2 to 13 miles per day. They finally increased their effieiency until they could travel 21 miles in a day. Robert’s mother, at one time, fell from the wagon into a creek and the wagon whell passed over her thigh, but she recovered. Cattle stampede, people died and were buried on the plains, they met high officials of the Church travieling and had to give them money (which they did gladly) they net a company of aposta they held meetings and praised the Lord. They kept uniform, starting tine 8 a.m. unless they’d lost time the day before, when their starting time would be 7 or 7:30, according so the time lost. They met three Indians who wanted to trade a horse for a “white squaw.” Feel, water and wood were all important to selecting a spot for camping, and some of the entries are simply, “Reed, water and wood good.” óL. McQ. E.

Source:Brent Bunker